Performance of Acoustic Radiation Force Impulse Elastography for Staging Liver Fibrosis in Patients With Chronic Hepatitis C After Viral Eradication

作者/單位: 彭成元/醫學系
IF值:  9.055
領域排名: INFECTIOUS DISEASES  (3/89)  34%

Background. Data on noninvasive liver fibrosis staging after viral eradication are unclear. This histology-based study validated the performance of liver stiffness (LS) measurements after viral eradication.

Methods. Consecutive participants with chronic hepatitis C (CHC) who received concomitant LS measurements through acoustic radiation force impulse (ARFI) elastography and percutaneous liver biopsy were prospectively screened and analyzed.

Results. Of the 644 patients, 521 (80.9%) underwent a biopsy at treatment baseline, and the remaining 123 (19.1%) underwent a biopsy at 3 years (median; interquartile range, 0.1) after the sustained virological response (SVR) to pegylated interferon-based and direct-acting antiviral treatments. The proportions of histological fibrosis stages did not differ significantly between the pretreatment and post-SVR groups (P = .0615). However, the LS values differed significantly (P < .0001). The median LS values (presented as shear wave velocities in meters per second) were 1.51 (0.92) for the pretreatment group and 1.22 (0.77) for the post-SVR group. The cutoffs (areas under the receiver operating characteristic curve, obtained using the bootstrap method) to dichotomize between METAVIR fibrosis stage F1 versus stages F2-F4, F1-F2 versus F3-F4, and F1-F3 versus F4 were 1.47 (0.8333, 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.7981-0.8663), 1.81 (0.8763, 95% CI 0.8376-0.9107), and 1.86 (0.8811, 95% CI 0.8378-0.9179) in the pretreatment group, respectively, and 1.22 (0.7872, 95% CI 0.7001-0.8624), 1.59 (0.8808, 95% CI 0.8034-0.9422), and 1.75 (0.9018, 95% CI 0.8201-0.9644) in the post-SVR group, respectively.

Conclusions. The performance of LS measurements through ARFI elastography is promising to determine the liver fibrosis stage on necroinflammation-resolved histology in CHC after viral eradication.y.




單位:醫學院醫學系 教授
  • Molecular mechanisms of hepatocarcinogenesis
  • Clinical hepatology

Read More